Did I ever mention I have the most strong willed child I have ever met? My parents are probably just laughing because I was probably the same way. However, sometimes the struggle gets to be too much. Like tonight for instance, he must have gotten out of bed 30+ times. Crying and screaming..."more kiss!...Mommy, mommy, daddy, daddy!" I wasn't even the one dealing with him and I began feeling frustrated and stressed. Why does he put up such a fight? And what are the answers to going to bed without a fight? It is now also happening at naptime so we have to deal with it twice a day. I want to blame it on the baby and think it will pass soon but it was happening before the baby was born. Chad and I desire to be good parents. Parents who love our children unconditionally and therefore set boundaries. However, sometimes, a lot of times, I feel as though I am failing miserably. We have tried just about everything...spanking, gates, holding the door closed, soap in his mouth, encouragement, rewards, praying, and putting him back into bed (millions of times by now) But nothing works! So if you have any suggestions let me know. If not just pray that Chad and I can have the strength to deal with him and get through this hurtle in the parenting journey.
And though Ryan is strong willed, he is also lovable, adorable, and so funny! Today, we went to art class where we finger painted today on giant pieces of paper. He was the only child who really got into it and wasn't afraid to get his hands messy. He loved it and I loved watching my child experience the love of art.
2 comments:
woops, my comment was supposed to go to this post - sorry
Karmen
Hey Guys . . .nice updates. :o) Thanks for the kind words.
We miss you! :o(
As for Buff and the bedtime issues: You both need to discuss a plan (perhaps over coffee on a date night) and then stick to it consistently at ALL costs until the behavior changes for good.
Ryan IS cute and adorable but old enough to understand he's "yanking your chain".
It is such a battle, but you have to remain firm, fair, and consistent. No wishy-washy-ness!
It reminds me of Todd.
"Todd go to bed at 10:00."
We go up and he's still awake at 10:30.
We say, "Todd we told you to go to bed a half hour ago."
He replies, "But I'm reading my Bible."
"That's nice Todd, but you are reading your Bible while being disobedient to what the Bible SAYS . . .which is to "OBEY your mother and father" and go to bed at 10:00."
James 1:22 "
Do not merely listen to the word . . DO what it says."
It's a "good thing" that Todd is in the Word, but it's really not! He's using his "good" to do something "not good".
Cute two year olds grow up to be teenagers. Stand STRONG.
And you know . . .we pray for you daily.
Love ya, Steve and Marie
Post a Comment