Friday, December 19, 2008

Love Them Like Jesus

Today has been a rough day. My heart is very heavy. Let me try to explain. Today, all the special ed. teachers were sitting around in the room discussing several of our students to update one of us who hasn't been here for the 1st semester about what has been going on. However, our discussion was not a light discussion about the ups and downs that most teacher's experience. It was a HEAVY discussion which is weighing on my heart like a ton of bricks. In fact, many tears have been shed since I left school today. We discussed problems our students are facing and the poor choices they have decided to make. How do you deal with subjects like drugs, sex, horrible home environments, confusion about their own sexuality, and much more. As one of the teachers said, "these are things your college never prepares you for." But as I was thinking about that, I do remember one professor fresh from the field telling us how she tried to at least manage. She told us her own personal story of how she tried to do it alone. Tried to save every child, etc. However, she told us she couldn't do it without relying on Christ to get you through the ups and downs. Being a Christian, I got it. But today I REALLY understand what she meant. I can't imagine doing this job without being able to seek God for advice, wisdom, grace, and strength. Fortunetly, I also work with two other teachers who are also Christians.

Then later today, I was in my car listening to a favorite Casting Crown song of mine. I usually just listen to that song and then choose another but I kept listening. The next song was "Love Them Like Jesus." These words fit the situation perfectly. Sometimes I want to have all of the answers to life's questions and I want to "save" all of my students but I can't. Instead, I just need to love them like Jesus. Below is a link to Casting Crowns singing the song live. Listen closely to the words. I challenge you to ask yourself, who do you just need to love like Jesus?


Lastly, I ask for your prayers for the students of Waynedale. I don't think we fully understand what they deal with on a daily basis.


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hn9dA4PZsBc

No comments: